For nearly 30 years, American Cancer Society (ACS) has supported patients’ need for transportation to and from cancer treatments with grassroots, community-based solutions. Recognizing that a lack of reliable transportation was reaching crisis levels for cancer patients, ACS took steps to overhaul its Road to Recovery program.
The organization needed a fresh overall approach designed to pivot from a legacy grassroots program to a centralized service delivery model. ACS hired For Momentum to create strategies for securing national corporate partners for the revamped Road to Recovery.
Acquired by Avis Budget Group for $500 million in 2013, Zipcar routinely receives nonprofit and community requests for support. To break through the clutter, ForMomentum developed:
- A customized and creative Road to Recovery pitch complete with a unique call to action, local stories, local needs and data points.
- Gained the attention, and ultimately, an initial meeting with the Zipcar marketing team.
- Encouraged adoption of broader CSR strategy.
- Tailored partnership proposals responsive to Zipcar’s culture and business planning.
The ACS-Zipcar partnership piloted in Boston and launched in July 2016. It ran through the end of the year and targets urban, young adults or college students who choose to not own a personal vehicle. If successful, the ACS-Zipcar collaboration will expand into other markets.
Elements of the partnership included:
- Free car usage for ACS volunteers Monday-Friday
- Special offers/incentives to recruit new volunteer
- Promotion of the Road to Recovery program to Zipcar members
- Donation of $100,000 to ACS
Partnering with the right company at the right time can bring a higher level of success on both sides of the partnership.